Sunday, February 26, 2012

the train


Watch out for the train; who's the train?      (photo credit: Michal)
Sometime in the past I might have discovered my interest in traveling; so I usually enjoy long bus rides especially on cases that allow me to appreciate the expanse of the blue sea or the green plains in combination with some notable topographical features.  Of course, the experience is always better if you have good company on these travels regardless of the travel medium: bus, plane, ship, train, or maybe in the near or far future, a spaceship.  However, riding on a train is a unique experience for me, maybe because of the movies.  Perhaps movies with train ride shots that I have seen are movies with good directors.  I would like to mention some of those that have given some good impressions: Gandhi, Whisper of the Heart, and The Polar Express.  Maybe many train routes are long enough to give you variety in terms of scenery to enjoy.  However, this is not true in some cases especially during the time when I rode a train that takes a purely underground route (for obvious reasons, I prefer an elevated railway system than an underground one).  Another example, is a train ride in a metro rail transit system that have high probabilities of being jam-packed.  So what's the best train ride experience? Hmmm, maybe a cross-country train ride on an ultra-fast train, or some would prefer the leisurely one.
 
photo credit: Devon D'Ewart

Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, 
at the huge waves of the sea, 
at the long courses of the rivers, 
at the vast compass of the ocean, 
at the circular motions of the stars, 
and they pass by themselves without wondering.
                                    -- Augustine of Hippo (Saint Augustine)